Impaired Driving Prevention Month
Impaired driving is one of the most direct threats to public safety in America, and according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, impaired-driving fatalities rose once again in 2016, by 1.7% to 10,497.
December is Impaired Driving Prevention Month, an important opportunity to introduce our communities and elected officials to the lives saved, families reunited, and streets made safer through the incredible work of treatment courts serving DWI offenders.
NADCP’s National Center for DWI Courts has produced an Impaired Driving Prevention Month toolkit to help your treatment court plan and execute events, as well as educate your elected officials and the media.
In this kit, you’ll find:
- Instructions for inviting your Members of Congress to attend a graduation or other event
- Creative event ideas to educate your community and foster support for your court
- Instructions on how to contact local and regional media
- A sample press release and op-ed
- Sample social media content
- Guidance on how to prepare and support your court participants through the holidays (one of the biggest challenges to sobriety throughout the year)
We look forward to highlighting the news and photos you send us all month long on our All Rise Facebook and Twitter pages, so be sure to like, follow, share, and retweet!